Health + Fitness

Vegans, vegetarians, meat eaters, oh my.

January 17, 2018

Coming from someone who always ate meat growing up, and I do mean always, I never thought I’d be the type of person be a vegetarian. I thought people who were vegetarian were missing out on so much. In this certain scenario, I’m so happy I was wrong!

One morning, my boyfriend and I decided we’d try cutting out all meat for a whole month. I had been feeling extremely full after eating and thought maybe eliminating meat would help detoxify my body and get rid of that feeling of heaviness. I thought it was going be extremely difficult but after the first week, I was hooked! Cut to five months later, I have more energy, I’m sleeping better and feel I’m doing something great for my body and dare I go as far to say the planet…?

I don’t want to go full on pusher mode, since we’re all new here and would only consider us acquaintances, but when you think about the abuse inflicted on these animals their entire life for just 20 minutes (or if you’re like my boyfriend, 5 minutes) of satisfaction while eating, it puts a burger into a much different light. Like a fluorescent light that no body wants anything to do with.

Now obviously this is just my opinion and you can fully disagree, but one of the many things I found SO beneficial from cutting out meat was the improvement of my skin! I know first hand that when your skin isn’t clear or acting up, it can be paralyzing and can get in the way of your happiness and confidence! Since this new diet change, I’ve noticed my skin is a lot clearer and might I even say glows.

On January 1st of this year I have started transitioning into veganism and I am so excited to share and try out new recipes for you guys! It’s easier when you look veganism as a life style. Therefore, if you’re craving meat or cheese, go for it! Life’s no fun without indulgence, just do it in moderation.

Word of advice, start to educate yourself more on the cruelty of the animals and the shocking truths of how bad meat and dairy products actually are for us! You could hop on this journey with me or just give vegetarian or pescatarianism a try and see how it goes! *spoiler alert – you’ll most likely feel a lot better and happier x

LIST OF VEGAN & VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS IN LA I LOVE

• Crossroads –  a little more on the expensive side but my favorite romantic date spot. Just have a guy take you there for a date, or hell you take the guy out and treat him! It’s 2018, we’re progressive here!
  • Veggie Grill – one of my favorite restaurants, try the buffalo wings yuuum
  • Chipotle – their sofritas are great and made out of tofu!
  • Umami – the impossible burger is a great fix for that desire to bite into a burger and the patty is far from a let down! it even looks like meat, which kind of freaks me out. Definitely one of my favorite cheat meals
  • Ramen Jinya – the creamy spicy vegan ramen is to die for and is my favorite cold weather meal – tip: also great for curing hangovers
  • Sun Cafe – fully plant based and their Mac n cheese is killer
  • Cafe Gratitude – try the cool shake mmm

Wearing: Brixton HatMadewell Jeans (old – similar here and here

Alejandra
    January 17, 2018 at 2:48 am

Love it! Listed a couple of my favorite spots, can’t wait to try the others! ♥️👍🏼😊

Cha
    January 17, 2018 at 9:40 am

I have always been considerinng the vegan, or the vegetarian lifestyle but I’m way too fond of meat; As well as my entire household consists of meat eaters. Therefore I think it would be really hard to change. I’d like to see more of your journey, like the food you eat and different recipes! I think that would be really great to see! ❤️

stella
      January 17, 2018 at 4:43 pm

If you watch documentaries and reads some books about the abuse & the unhealthiness of it, it won’t make it that hard! Obviously Peta videos are quite intense but videos like that made it easy for me to never look back and urge everyone around me to be vegetarian as well. It’s worth it! Hope you try it! 🙂
      Xx Stella

Fabiana Colombelli Candido
      January 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Hi, Cha!! When I decided to be vegetarian, I didn’t stop eating meat all off the sudden. We are raised eating meat and thinking that it’s normal. When we realize it’s not, of course it’s super hard to change. My mom oblied me to eat meat every meal, and she used to hate vegetarians! But then, when I started to live alone, I stopped little by little eating meat. First on mondays. So every manday would be a free meat day. It didnt take long to never want to see meat in my plate again. And my mom? Now she’s rarely eating meat and considerimg vegetarianism.
      What I want to say is: if you want to become a vegetarian, you dont need to stop eating meat suddenly. Start by reducing! And about your family: be the example! Try to show them vegetarian meals, like I did to my mom. That way, they’ll understand they dont need meat to be happy or to Survive!

Hope you give it a try (respecting your rithym)!!!

Love from Fabi 🇧🇷

Jessica Vaughn
    January 17, 2018 at 9:55 am

I’m vegetarian since 2 years now; and surely my skin looks better than ever ! Also I lose like 10kg ! May I was like meat intolerant idk. Also, as a student, it’s very cheapper to don’t eat meat, all the money I gain I keep it for concerts, holidays or more vegetables ( damn some vegetables with some houmous – sorry I’m french so may it’s not the right way to write it in english – )
    I keep in touch of new post my dear, it’s refreshing to read a blog as yours, not too much, just a pleasure to read at the end of the day.

All the love,

Jay

Renee
    January 17, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Yes! I was vegan a year before my boyfriend and I started dating and now he’s vegan too! For almost a year now and it’s so much fun eating like this together, we live together so our majority of things in our home is vegan too which makes it soo much easier when shopping etc. Please keep posting the vegan journey!
    Peace&Love (:

Heather
    January 17, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Have been vegetarian since I was 14 and now I’m 24 🙂 Sage Vegan Bistro is my favorite vegan restaurant in LA!

stella
      January 17, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I’ve only been there once! I’ll definitely go again soon!

Sophie
    January 17, 2018 at 2:07 pm

I guess I’m gonna give it a try!

Olivia
    January 17, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Stella! I’ve been pescatarian for quite a while now and definitely know what you mean about feeling lighter as I would constantly have stomach issues prior to my diet change. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one! Love your blog so much

Nikiyah
    January 17, 2018 at 3:25 pm

You are the reason why I thrive for greatness everyday. Just the fact that you are spreading awareness about veganism is amazing. I have myself been vegan for a couple of months and I haven’t turned back since lol. Pleas Continue to be the amazing inspiration that all of us need. ❣️❣️😭

stella
      January 17, 2018 at 4:41 pm

This is so sweet! Thank you so much for the kind words.
      Xx Stella

Danielle
    January 17, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Hey Stella ☺️ Love this post!! I’ve recently become vegan and am loving it! The last couple of years I was starting to think more and more about what I’m actually putting into my body and every time I would think about the fact that I’m eating meat from an animal I would feel so sad because I love animals so much! I would also get an upset stomach every time I ate red meat so I started watching docos like what the health and forks over knives and I was astounded at all the benefits of a plant based diet and how much it can heal our bodies! ☺️ Everything just made so much sense! Also the whole meat and dairy industry and what they do just doesn’t sit well with me at all! I also watched the film Okja which broke my heart 😭. Since going vegan my skin has cleared up too!! I have also noticed my nails grow waaaaay quicker and are a lot stronger! I’ve got no more stomach issues and just feel SO much healthier and have so much more energy ☺️. I love your blog so much! And I’m so excited to read more posts from you and to also get some recipe ideas 😋

Sending my love from all the way over in New Zealand 💖 Xo

sabrina
    January 17, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Maybe I should look into it ! Thank you love <3 loving everything you post so far!

Fabiana Colombelli Candido
    January 17, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Hi, Stella! I’ve been a vegetarian for the past 2 years, and my dream is to become, someday, a vegan as well.. I’m trying little by little, so it doesn’t feel traumatic! I want to say that I get soooo happy when I see that more and more people are eating food without inflicting pain to other living beings! And I’m so proud to see “public” figures as you talking openly about this, inspiring other people to think about their food choices and how it impacts our planet… Loved this post! Can’t wait to learn your vegan recipes!
    Love from Brasil 🇧🇷

victoria
    January 17, 2018 at 5:52 pm

you should post some vegetarian and vegan recipes!

Maddie
    January 17, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Please make sure your vegetables are grown fairly as well. Many migrant workers are subjected to just as harsh conditions as the animals and they deserve just as much respect.

lexi
    January 17, 2018 at 7:40 pm

since you are transitioning to veganism, will you be adding any vitamins to your diet?

Laisha
    January 17, 2018 at 9:24 pm

I’ve been talking about this ALL WEEK. I think you’ve finally hooked my mind!! Love you and vegetarianism!

chris (@christinawtvr)
    January 17, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Hi Stella! Love the post, I’ve been vegetarian for almost two years now, and it has been such a progressive change in my life! I’m also from LA which means I’m constantly trying new restaurants that offer veg options, and Gracias Madre has amazing vegan Mexican food! You should give it a try!!

Cherono
    January 17, 2018 at 11:29 pm

I’ve been vegetarian for literally my whole life and went vegan in the beginning of 2016 and it’s literally the best thing EVERRRR!!!💕

acrinac
    January 18, 2018 at 5:49 am

It scares me what people do to animals for their pleasure. I’m not going to lie, it would be difficult for me to be a vegetarian but I do eat a lot less meat these days. We’ll see how it goes but I admire vegetarians.

Can’t wait to see what you do with your travel section since I’m a new travel bloger myself (not that I have many readers or anything :D).

Daniela Morales
    January 18, 2018 at 6:24 am

Hello Stella! Thanks for sharing your experience! I want to tell you that I follow you from Argentina and like you a few months ago I incorporated new healthy habits in my life. (A few years ago I opted for a time consuming only egg, dairy and vegetables, get rid of some food has not been so difficult) Although I am against the practice with animals, and I have 100% empathy with that, I honestly started with health issues by relatives who are checking that the food really HEAL, CURE. I’m happy with the changes in my body (and excited because even emotionally my life changed), it’s true! the skin, the hair, the self-esteem … everything changes. And mainly the change is internal, and when one feels good, on the outside it shows. A hug! I hope to read many recipes and adapt them to my life. (Can I share others?) Greetings! (I use google translator)

Aino
    January 18, 2018 at 6:50 am

I would really want to try being a vegan but it would be hard bc I’m so young (13) and i live at home but I’ll defianetely try when i grow up 😛 I love you Stel! Keep up the great work!
    Greetings from Finland🇫🇮 -Aino

Andrea Murillo
    January 18, 2018 at 9:38 am

What a great inspiration you are Stella I follow you from Ecuador and read your story I was very excited and gave me a reason to continue fulfilling my vegan goal, I tell you that 5 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and my life, my diet and diet changed but not I was able to leave the meat about 1 year ago. My goal was not to eat any meat for 1 week and I achieved it and that made me very excited from then on I did not set a time I did it and it was the best decision, but I will not lie at that time if I consumed some meat products and I feel bad about myself, I always try to inculcate my family to stop eating meat but they are a bit more stubborn but I believe that we children should set the example for others to follow. Thank you very much for this platform that I know will help a lot to those who want to start this new lifestyle. successes and the best vibes. ❤

Rose Berry
    January 18, 2018 at 9:39 am

I tried going vegan last year and loved it, but I wasn’t able to keep up when I moved to my grandmother’s house for our annual summer stay. Grandma doesn’t eat a lot of meat, but you eat what she gives you or else! 🙂

I haven’t really jumped back on the wagon since then, but plan to once the warmer weather arrives and the farmer’s markets are more attractive. My reason to try veganism is purely for health benefits, so I can’t wait to feel better!

Maddy
    January 18, 2018 at 11:18 am

Hi there! To any vegs out there I have some questions. I have adopted a pescatarian diet as of October 2017 and although I thought i was doing the right thing I began to see info about how fishing harms the environment?? Basically what is your opinions on pescatarianism.

Maxine Higgins (@Maxine_Official)
      January 23, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Hey Maddy, I have been vegan for 2 years now and the thing is that fish actually suffer a lot of pain and we definitely overfish.. the Problem is that we fish billions out the seas and the bycatch which include turtles, Wales, Dolphins, sharks and many more die for no reason. The prediciton ist that we have fishless oceans by 2020 and If there are no/less fish the oceans can’t function correctly. Oceans are the Planets lungs ans without them the Planet is in great danger.
      I hope I could help with the information and I hope you’ll consider going vegan or vegetarian. Lot’s of Love, Maxine 😊

Aurea
    January 20, 2018 at 1:42 pm

It’s super difficult being in a filipino household… but i am pushing through at vegetarianism first then someday hopefully soon, veganism… :3 it is however much easier in wellington, nz because a lot of people here are vegan! :3

Lou
    January 20, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Yes, I am a started and learning my journey on veganism It’s hard, but little by little day by day, I’m progressing. Just keep trying and convincing my brain that vegan is a better way to lead and live my life to happiness , healthier and longer life.
    Keep up the great work Stella, you are heaven sent !

Asia
    January 21, 2018 at 9:20 am

I’ve always wanted to try vganism but I love chicken so much! Especially coming from a Hispanic background, meat is in every dish we make. I’ll definitely keep reading your blogs, slowly you’re persuading me! Keep up the good work! You’re amazing!

Marj
    January 21, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Idk how to start but I want vegan. My parents eat veggies but I don’t enjoy the taste tho. Its like my taste buds don’t like them. I know its healthy but I cant eat those. But u inspire me, I’ll start myself to like it now. I’ll try to cut off the meat and embrace veggies. I really need to take good care of my body and hve a healthy living.

Anelle
    February 4, 2018 at 11:48 am

I LOVE your blogs! Omg. I have been blogging for fun since last year, but I am considering buying my own domain sometime soon. And I’m trying to cut out meats/dairy too! Coming from a Mexican household, I’m around that so often lol. It’s been challenging but I do agree with you on clearer skin & more energy!! xoxo 😽

Tesia Villegas
    February 4, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I’ve been catching up on your blog and I just want to say this is soooo cute and helpful! Very inspiring. Love the restaurant tips!! Thanks Stella!! ;* -love, Tess.

Paula Meza
    February 9, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Yay! I am so happy to read that you are transitioning to Vegan. Thank you on behalf of all animals. ❤

stella
      February 10, 2018 at 11:30 am

It’s so necessary we all begin! Animals need rights too! X

Amy