Health + Wellness

Being Vegantarian

April 8, 2018

Eating healthy is a difficult thing and I don’t take eating lightly cause mama likes to eat. I’ve noticed I tend to eat healthier when i’m single (subtly blames Eric) but I’m HAPPY so of course I’ll want pizza and mac and cheese at 3am with him. Isn’t that what love is all about? It also isn’t a fair game because men’s metabolisms tend to usually work a lot faster than women’s. Or at least mine, CURSE YOU GENES. It’s still something i’m trying to balance but it’s a process!

Being vegantarian (my made up word for sometimes vegan but definitely vegetarian, CHEESE is so hard to give up!) makes breakfast for me a little difficult. I tend to skip out on breakfast foods but I never skip breakfast. I literally wake up as a starving little monster every morning. You should never skip breakfast as that’ll slow your metabolism so always eat right when you wake up! I also try to drink a full glass of water with lemon before I eat anything. It’ll help your digestive system and rehydrate your body. I also carry around a 2.2 Liter water bottle and try *key work try* to drink that and more every day.

I don’t eat eggs and I hate avocado, WILD I know, so breakfast meals aren’t ever the move. On the rare occasions I am eating breakfast foods, I’ll vouch for oatmeal with almond butter, agave syrup and berries on top. A friend also taught me to soak the oats in apple juice overnight and oh my gosh, so good. I love açaí bowls or putting the açaí packets that you can get from the grocery store in smoothies. I also love putting almond butter and honey on ezekiel bread. It’s super tasty and sometimes if I’m feeling crazy I’ll put a little bit of hazelnut butter on top too.

Since we’ve established I basically don’t eat breakfast foods ever, I’ll tell you what I usually eat for my breakfast-y lunch. I love arugula and spinach so salad is usually what I’ll crave (excluding the junk foods cravings like pizza or pancakes). I’m very particular about dressings but my favorites are italian and ceaser. Always make sure to look at the ingredients while you’re at the grocery store though because sometimes they sneak in some egg or milk in there… soo unnecessary if you ask me.

I can’t tell you enough how happy it makes me that grocery stores have so many meat alternatives now! One of my favorite meals to put together are vegan kiolbassa sausages with brown rice or beans (it isn’t good to mix the two together because it’ll crazy bloat you up), peas, kale, broccoli and quinoa. It literally takes five minutes to boil or grill the kiolbassa and fifteen minutes for the rest. I love pink himalayan salt so I throw a pinch (or two) on top and it’s so easy and tasty. This is a bit of a heavier meal so I’ll either eat this for dinner or after a work out because I’ll be completely starving. My common mood throughout the day is hungry little monster.

Another favorite meal of mine would be vegan hamburger meat on ezekiel bread or if I’m feeling REAL crazy, hawaiian bread which is literally stupid good. I put vegan cheese, lettuce, either chipotle sauce (Eric and I love chipotle sauce) or vegan mayo and ketchup. I’m kind of a plain eater so you can add whatever you want like avocado or mustard but either way, you should try it. I’ll put together a kale side salad and/or throw some sweet potato fries in the oven and voila, purrfection.

Being vegantarian, I have to be very mindful about taking vitamins and nourishing my body because I become easily deficient and anemic. Sweet potatoes, kale and broccoli, for example are really great at getting your intake of Calcium. You can get your Iron through brown rice, oats, nut spreads and leafy greens so you’ll be completely set with all of the recipes I gave you!

Quinoa, beans, lentils, ezekiel bread and nuts are a great way to get your protein in. One of the things that just kiiiillsss me is when someone asks how I get protein even though I don’t eat meat. UMM. The protein that you get from eating meat is literally recycled from the plants the animal eats, soo you actually don’t have to kill an animal for protein! YAY, lets all stop abusing animals now! There she is… The pusher is back and ready to rumble.

As for snacks, I usually go for juices, tea or fruit. Nutritionally, it’s better to juice vegetables than fruit because you lose a lot of the fiber in fruit juicing them so keep that in mind when you’re buying or DIY juicing. (How many more times can I type the word juicing?!) My favorite tea is cinnamon tea and and my favorite fruits are mangos, kiwis and blueberries. Popcorn, plantain chips and trail mixes are also great to have if you’re craving more of a real snack. I’m also completely obsessed with artichokes so I’ll literally go in on a whole one by myself. It’s not the prettiest sight to see.

I hope this inspires you to try to cut out meat as I am completely passionate about not harming animals for food. It honestly is so unnecessary and completely horrible in my opinion to subject animals to a lifetime of torture and abuse. Cows and chickens are smarter than dogs so it feels completely contradictory to eat a cow but have a dog as a pet to me.

If you need an extra push I recommend watching What The Health, Cowspiracy or listening to the Dr. Joel Fuhrman on the You Made It Weird podcast. If you need a really aggressive push and want to watch the video that turned me vegetarian for the rest of my life, watch If Slaughterhouses Had Glass Walls on youtube. It’s a really heavy video but choosing ignorance over educating yourself on what goes in to make your meals feels very counterproductive and selfish. Animals can’t stand up for themselves so I’m taking on the role to fight for their rights. Sounds cheesy? NOPE, no dairy here. Pun intended.

Heres a list of what you’ll need to try my recipes out! I’ll put my favorite products in links and if you guys try any of these recipes send me pictures and let me know how it goes! I’m very new to cooking so I love all the tips I can get!

INGREDIANT & GROCERY LIST

For Smoothies – Orange or Apple juice Almond OR Soy or Coconut milk, Acai Packets, Spinach, Flaxseeds or Chia seeds, any type of vegan protein powderStrawberries and banana, granola, goji berries and almond slithers for açaí bowl version

For Snacks & Breakfast foods –

Ezekial bread with almond butter, hazelnut spread, Cinnamon tea, Oatmeal with almond butter, agave syrup or honey, cinnamon and your favorite berries, Popcorn, Trail Mix, Artichoke with vegan dipping sauces

Lunch & Dinner – Vegan Kiolbassa sausages, Vegan cheese, Kale, Spinach, Arugula, Peas, Quinoa, brown rice, beans or lentils, Ezekial bread, Sweet Potatoes, Lettuce, Dressing (Italian or Ceaser), Pink Himalayan Salt, Chipotle sauce, Vegan Mayonnaise, Ketchup

Eva
    April 8, 2018 at 5:16 pm

LOVE!

Tameika
      April 8, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I am happy to know that you are a vegetarian it’s the best and healthy thing to do. I am also a vegetarian best decision I ever made, so thank you for sharing.

Jo
      April 9, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I’m not a vegan but am totally interested in changing my diet. Thanks for sharing!
      (Lowkey nervous about changing though! But mostly excited! XD)

Flor
    April 8, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I love this so much, i’m vegan and i think it’s so important to keep spreading more information about this so more people can know how wonderful veganism is! Thank you for this Stella <3

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 5:43 pm

It is so important! Of course! Glad you enjoyed it xx

Lydia
    April 8, 2018 at 5:44 pm

I love this post Stella! Thank you for finally creating a word that describes my diet!!!! I am mostly vegan, but sometimes I NEED ice cream, now when people ask I will tell them that I am vegantarian 🙂

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Haha, I understand that girl. But there are a ton of amazing vegan ice creams out there! But i’m not judging cause I get it. Glad i’m not the only one! Xx

Madison
      April 9, 2018 at 12:11 pm

You should try so delicious cashew milk ice cream! I think it’s better than dairy ice cream, way creamier. My fave is salted caramel cluster, best ice cream I’ve ever had.

Holden Pence
    April 8, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Would you consider a blog about tattoos and piercings?

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 6:07 pm

I would! I have a few piercings and tattoos already, but I like to keep those private 😉

Eileen
    April 8, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I appreciate this post and your progress towards veganism. Dairy can be hard, but they say if you’re craving chocolate, you need magnesium so spinach and basil. I would like to point out honey is not vegan. The queen bees are treated similarly to dairy cows and their hives are as well. This isn’t criticism, just a vegan trying to help out another aspiring one.

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 6:10 pm

That’s why I suggested agave syrup and when I mentioned honey I was speaking about the vegan honey called Bee Free! Xx

Eileen
        April 8, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Ohh! Gotcha thanks for pointing that out!

stella
          April 8, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Ah, I forgot to link the product properly! My mistake! But I agree, bees are a huge part of our planets functionality! No harm here. Xx

Gigi
    April 8, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Love this! My favourite go to snack is homemade hummus with carrots! So quick, affordable and easy! X

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 6:40 pm

That’s a great suggestion! I usually do that with carrots and celery sticks!

Ariana
    April 8, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Omg i love this post! I’m trying to live a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle and this post is very helpful and informative! I just started substituting burgers for veggie burgers and honestly I think they taste better lol Also giving up cheese and ice cream is a real struggle. Thanks for sharing girl 🙂

Bey
    April 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Love this!! Thank u!
    I’m also veganterian haha.. wanted to ask which vegan cheese do u recommend ?

And also u said u like ceasar salad but it has fish in it (ceasar dressing)? 🙂

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Again, there are ceaser dressing salads that are vegan. Trust me, I know when animal products are still used and sometimes I eat regular ceaser dressing. These are just suggestions!

Carlin
    April 8, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Maybe I will try to be vegetarian….. I really like this!!kisses from Venezuela 💙

stella
      April 8, 2018 at 10:58 pm

Yes! Try it and let me know how it goes! Xx

rose
    April 8, 2018 at 8:49 pm

love, love, love this as a fellow vegan! just one note from someone who studied nutrition— beans & brown rice is actually a perfect combo, as the two combined function as a complete protein! not a biggie, but just something to reference 🙂

victoria
    April 8, 2018 at 8:58 pm

i love this post! thank you so much for giving me an insight to what you eat in a day! definitely would love to see more health and lifestyle/fitness posts like your workouts and vegetarian/vegan cooking videos!!! keep up the good work 🙂

Lizzie
    April 8, 2018 at 11:09 pm

I feel ya with the giving up cheese! I’ve cut right down on cheese and dairy and live 90% vegan but every now and then mac & cheese gets the better of me!! I’ve been vegetarian for the last 11 years and felt so good cutting out meat! Also love starting my day with an açai bowl, makes me feel like I’m living on the beach in Hawaii especially on a rainy London morning!

Aimee GARCIA
    April 9, 2018 at 12:20 am

Im allergic to meat eggs fish so i eat everything else and its not hard at all alot of pasta pizza sushi veggie roles cucumber cream cheese one pbjs mac and cheese bagles salad its not that hard for me but its great that you have gotten healthier by doing so and saving animals your such a beautiful soul as well as the outside we need more hudgens in this world you all are golden hearted thanks for eatch artical/ blog/podcast your the best

Angelina
    April 9, 2018 at 4:55 am

Giving up cheese is definitely hard at first, I didn’t know how I would be able to do it!! Now I don’t crave it at all and I don’t even miss it. Watching “the best speech ever” by Gary Yourofsky gave me the extra push to completely cut out all hidden dairy. I feel amazing and I love being vegan, despite all the criticism we get as being vegan!!!
    Loved the post! Education is key, and helping people with recipes when they first get started is awesome

stella
      April 9, 2018 at 10:14 am

Oh amazing, i’ll definitely check that out!!! Thanks for the recommendation! Xx

Eve
    April 9, 2018 at 6:13 am

I love this, thanks Stella ❤️️ I’ve been changing my diet to a much healthier one & this is definitely what I needed. So glad that we have women like you to inspire others into Healthier and animal friendly lifestyles.

stella
      April 9, 2018 at 10:13 am

Aww yay good! That makes me happy becaause that’s ultimately all I want to promote! Xx

Brittanie
    April 9, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Love this blog post, Stella! xo
    “Vegantarian” is something I totally can identify with. I started changing up my diet and exercise in October of last year, but haven’t really given up cheese or eggs completely! Oatmeal with almond butter is one of my favorite things ever. Have you tried the Nature Valley Almond Butter Biscuits? Super good if you’re in a rush to go in the morning.
    Also love that I’m not the only person in the world who doesn’t like avocados!

BRUCE
    April 12, 2018 at 12:56 am

Then maybe you can find a good vegan-burger at Coachella or Palm Springs over the weekend. Matched with a beer or freshly squeezed lemonade.You should write a cookbook, Stella.

BRUCE
      April 13, 2018 at 4:43 am

Stella actually GLOWS in this picture.

Àngela
    April 12, 2018 at 10:18 am

Hi Stella!

I’ve followed you for years, but I’ve never been quite sure about what do you do daily, like, do you study? Do you work? Is the blog your job now?

P.s. loved this post too

Love from Barcelona ❤️